The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners!
Free Demo Account!
Free Trading Education!
Investment Opportunities by Sector in Australia
Investment Opportunities by Sector in Australia
The Australian Government welcomes foreign investment. As the Australian Government’s investment promotion agency, Austrade works to inform investors about growth opportunities in five areas which play to our strengths, jointly agreed by Australian and S tate and Territory Governments:
- Agribusiness and food
- Major infrastructure
- Tourism infrastructure
- Resources and energy
- Advanced manufacturing, services and technology
Within advanced manufacturing, services and technology, Austrade focuses on highlighting growth opportunities for investment in Australian medical and materials sciences and technologies, and digital technologies.
As the world’s eighth largest national tourism market Australia offers significant opportunities for investment in tourism infrastructure.
Located in the world’s strongest tourism region, in the Asia-Pacific, Australia has a top performing tourism sector with strong revenue from hotel accommodation, high occupancy rates, expanding aviation capacity and strong growth in visitors forecast from emerging Asian markets.
Australia’s growing and resilient economy, increasing population and open trade networks provide a world-class environment for companies to finance, build, own and operate infrastructure assets.
Opportunities exist to apply state-of-the-art technologies and construction expertise to new projects, for upgrading existing infrastructure and investing across all stages of the asset life cycle, ranging from start-up to asset ownership and operation.
Agribusiness and Food
As one of the world’s leading agricultural producers, renowned for safe, healthy and high quality food, Australia is located close to markets in Asia that are driving growing global demand.
Australia offers investors high quality raw inputs and the skills and capabilities needed to undertake world-class research and development and food processing.
Global investors in food and agriculture will find unparalleled opportunities in Australia to service the demand from fast-growing consumer markets for new and innovative premium food products.
Resources and Energy
Australia’s world-class resources and energy sectors attract investment from around the globe. In Australia investors will find a stable and efficient regulatory environment, intellectual property protection, a highly skilled and multi-lingual workforce, and a strong culture of innovation.
Australia has significant reserves of mineral and primary energy resources including iron ore, coal, gas, uranium, wind and solar. This abundance underpins Australia’s position as a major global exporter of minerals and energy resources and products.
Australia’s resources sector is in a period of significant growth as it moves from the investment phase to the production phase of the mining boom. As major projects are completed, the iron ore, coal and LNG sectors will experience a large-scale ramp-up in production capacity.
The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners!
Free Demo Account!
Free Trading Education!
Digital Economy and ICT
Australia’s fast-growing and highly advanced digital economy, supported by a skilled information and communication technologies (ICT) workforce and world-class research and development (R&D) facilities, offers compelling investment opportunities.
Some of the world’s leading companies have already chosen Australia as a strategic location for investing in ICT, R&D and as a base for connecting with the Asia-Pacific region.
Australia’s economic and research strengths, when combined with robust cyber-security, privacy and intellectual property laws and generous R&D tax incentives, make our country an attractive destination for investment.
Medical Science and Technologies
Excellent research facilities, world-class scientists, and a strong but flexible regulatory regime are qualities that have made Australia a global leader in medical science and technologies, offering breakthrough research solutions and partnership opportunities.
From the medical use of penicillin and cochlear implants to more recent breakthroughs in cervical cancer and the bionic eye, Australia has a proven track record and is a world-leading destination for medical research including in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and clinical trials.
Materials Science and Technologies
With high-quality research institutions, specialist research and problem solving skills and strong capabilities in materials science and technologies, Australia offers global companies a proven track record and the opportunity to develop the materials of the future.
Australia’s integrated research infrastructure and collaborative research models makes it a preferred research partner, both in established European and US markets and across Asia.
I hope you got some value from this article: Investment Opportunities by Sector in Australia. If you would like additional information, please contact our office HERE. Also, I would like to share a few articles I hope you will enjoy on Australia!
Like Our Articles?
Then make sure to check out our Bookstore. we have titles packed full of premium offshore intel. Instant Download – Print off for your private library before the government demands we take these down!
Investment Banking in Australia | Top Banks List | Salary | Jobs
Investment Banking in Australia – Have you ever thought about investment banking in Australia? Yes, it may be negligible compared to the revenue and market share in the USA and Europe, but does Australia still have hope?
In this article, we will explore all aspects of investment banking in Australia and will understand how much potential Australia has in making it big in investment banking.
Let’s look at the sequence of the article –
Investment Banking Market in Australia
Australia may not be the most attractive place for investment banking, but still, it has been showing promise of growth. Many investment banks have seen the potential and started exploring the Australian market. For example, we can talk about Macquarie Group which has 6 offices in Australia and they are number 1 in the Australian investment banking market.
Moreover, youth in Australia has still been very positive about the investment banking career. Even if Australia has been losing its ground in investment banking after the global crash, still students and would-be professionals are still preparing and giving interviews for the investment banking domain.
And this are all good news. And Australia is an emerging market that can show a lot of potential in the near future. The investment banks just need to tap into opportunities.
Investment Banking in Australia – Services Offered
To understand what sort of services Australian investment banks offer, we will pick one of the top investment banks in Australia and peep within their services. This will help us understand the essence of what Australian investment banks offer to its customers.
- Advisory & Capital Markets: Even if Australia has been doing poorly in investment banking, still the approach of top-notch investment bankers are always customer-centric. The advisers are trained in such a way that they serve their customers first, think about profit, second. And when it comes down to their corporate finance capabilities, they have great expertise which has still helped the Australian market to float.
- Asset Finance: The investment banks in Australia are experts in providing various finance and asset management solutions. From aircraft to mining, from rail to technology, they provide every possible asset finance services customers would like to get the assistance of.
- Financing: The Australian market has one benefit – it is an emergent market. Thus, the opportunities are limitless. And investment bankers all over in Australia have been utilizing this advantage as much as they are able to. From lending & investing to commodities & energy/resources, they are everywhere.
- Asset Management: Australian investment banks are not only handling Australian assets, they are also well-equipped in handling global demand. They have 100+ strategies and several teams to outgrow customers’ expectations. (also, have a look at Asset Management)
- Research:Equity Research is the holy grail of every business. And Australian investment banks are the centers of excellence at research. Looking at a business from various perspectives and having thoughtful processes are allowing the banks to transcend every limitation. From consumer, demographics, environment, energy to renewables, utilities, telecom & materials, their expertise knows no bound.
- Trading & Hedging: Australian investment banks are equally capable to handle the trading & capital market. They provide 24-hour access to their customers in terms of global market conditions, price making solutions and global trading. They also help their customers with market research and technical & fundamental analysis.
These are the services top-notch Australian investment banks provide to their customers. And they are constantly uplifting their games and providing cutting-edge solutions to their customers.
List of Top Investment Banks in Australia
Australia isn’t doing great in investment banking. In the first half of 2020, investment bankers in Australia brought in the lowest revenue since 2020, i.e. $591 million. According to Dealogic, Australia’s investment banking revenue had been dropped by 23% to $678 million in the first six months of 2020. But still, amid the clouds, few investment banks did exceptionally well. We will look at the list of top 10 investment banks which did exceptionally well as of June 2020 according to Dealogic. Dealogic has ranked them as per the revenue and percentage of share during the first half of 2020.
- Macquarie Group: They had taken the first spot in terms of revenue and market share. The revenue of Macquarie Group was $119 million and the market share is 17.6%.
- UBS: UBS was in a second position. They earned a revenue of $57 million and the percentage of a share was 8.4%.
- Credit Suisse: At the third position, Credit Suisse had cemented their feet. They generated around $37 million and 5.5% of the market share.
- Citi Bank: Citi Bank was in the fourth position, producing around $34 million and capturing 5% of market share.
- JP. Morgan: J.P. Morgan had captured the fifth position. They had earned around $34 million and captured 5% of the market (as same as Credit Suisse).
- Goldman Sachs: At sixth, there was Goldman Sachs generating around $33 million and 4.9% of market share.
- National Australia Bank: National Australia Bank was at the seventh spot. They had generated over $29 million and around 4.3% of the market share.
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch: Bank of America Merrill Lynch had cemented their position at 8. They had produced around $27 million and a market share of 4%.
- CBA: CBA had taken the ninth position, grossing around $27 million (slightly lesser than Bank of America Merrill Lynch) and capturing a market share of 3.9%.
- Morgan Stanley: On 10 th , there was Morgan Stanley. They have generated around $26 million and a market share of 3.8%.
Also, have a look at the following –
Investment Banking in Australia – Recruitment process
In Australia, the process of recruitment is the combination of both Europe-Asia & the USA. Let’s go through the process of recruitment in investment banking –
- Online tests: The screening process in Australia is rigorous. Thus, if you want to break in, you need to go through a series of online tests on both verbal and quantitative subjects. Once you are through, you will go over to the next step.
- Assessment days: On assessment days, the whole scenario is different. You will be given a limited time to prepare a case study on a transaction or hypothetical situation. You will prepare the presentation and will present the case in front of the panel of interviewers. This is a tough screening method because it is pretty difficult to prepare a presentation within a short stint of time while concentrating both on the content and context of the presentation.
- Series of interviews: Usually, the interview panel gets it’s few best candidates after the assessment day. After the assessment day, it’s time to filter out the good from the great. For that, a series of interviews are taken and the interview process is pretty harder compared to the interviews in the USA & Europe-Asia.
There are a few things that are different in the recruitment process in Australia –
- Usually, people don’t change careers in Australia. So whenever the recruitment process starts, only finance people apply. And that’s the reason the recruitment process needs to be more solid.
- People who apply for investment banking positions are on an average bit older and mostly they leave behind a long career in boutique banks or other financial institutions.
- As the investment banking industry is smaller in Australia and all the candidates seem to have a solid background, the interview process needs to be stricter to filter out the best from the pool of candidates.
Investment Banking Culture in Australia
In Australia, the culture for investment banking is quite different. People working there are a bit older on average. And they don’t work insanely long hours. They have holidays and often even banks get shut down which is almost impossible in the USA & Europe. Investment bankers in Australia maintain a healthy work-life balance along with running their career smoothly. Even at a junior level, you will not need to work 100+ hours which is pretty hard to believe.
The offices are usually divided into two groups – married and single people. And unlike other regions (e.g. USA & Europe), people hang out a lot during work hours (whenever required) and not much after work.
Every organization has a separate team which works on a specific sort of deals. For example, a group of 10 people who are passionate about M&A works on closing more and more M&A deals.
Macquarie Capital provides global investment banking services in six industry groups: Infrastructure, Utilities and Renewables; Real Estate; Telecommunications, Media, Entertainment & Technology; Resources; Industrials; and Financial Institutions. Most other investment banks, in Australia, however, focus on two sectors i.e. energy and natural resources because Australia is known for it.
Investment banking in Australia is quite different as the industry and market are relatively smaller and investment banker specifically works on focused projects instead of trying to cram all of it.
Investment Banking Salaries in Australia
In Australia, the average salary for an investment banker is much lesser than the investment banker in the USA or Europe. And the range of salary is also very broad.
On average, an investment banker in Australia earns around AU $98,471 per annum as per the data are shown by Payscale.com. Here’s the graph below –
Now, let’s go through another graph to understand the range of salary of investment bankers and also the bonus & profit-sharing part of the salaries –
- We note that the salary range of investment bankers in Australia is AU $51,521 to AU $207,128. This range proves one thing that you will not start at a higher level (in salaries) when you just start out your career in investment banking in Australia. But if you stick for 15-20 years, your salary would get quadrupled.
- We also get the range of bonuses and profit-sharing i.e. AU $5,000 to AU $100,000 & AU $986 to AU $19,866. These figures also emphasize the importance of experience in the investment banking career in Australia.
- Experience highly affects the salaries in the investment banking market. If you have more experience, chances are you will be getting much more salary than the investment bankers who are now in the middle of their career. And at entry-level, you need to start with the salary based on industry norms.
In the next graph, we will see the gender division in the investment banking market in Australia –
- According to this, only 10% of all the people who work in investment banking are female. And the remaining 90% are male. That means we can conclude that investment banking in Australia is a male-dominated industry.
Investment Banking in Australia – Exit Opportunities
As you already know, going from investment banking to the buyer side of the business is a common thing; but in the case of the Australian investment banking market, an exit is a big no-no for candidates.
Since the career change in Australia is a very uncommon thing, people who work in investment banking usually change jobs from one firm to another and also go for a smaller bank to bigger bank; but rarely from investment banking into private equity or hedge funds. Usually, people change jobs for more stability and better salaries, but not for exploration or because they don’t like their investment banking jobs.
So if you start your career in the Australian investment banking market, an exit is not a good option. You may think of moving out of the Australian market and going into the USA or Europe. It can be done, but the issue is the migration doesn’t yield any additional benefit. Having experience in the Australian investment banking market doesn’t count in the investment banking industry in the USA or Europe. As a result, the candidate who has migrated from Australia to the USA or Europe needs to start again from the bottom (which is not a good thing).
You can still change your career (if you want to) if you can’t tolerate the investment banking at all or want to explore more of the market in private equity or hedge funds.
The Australian market is on the rise even if the figures don’t say so. However, if we look into the opportunities created by the foreign banks in the Australian market, we would say there is still hope that the Australian market will come back strongly.
And we will wait to see whether in near future investment banking in Australia will be able to make a dent!
Small Investment Opportunities in Australia
COVID-19 is impacting millions of people around the world. Here’s how we’re helping those who are most vulnerable
PO Box A524
Sydney South NSW 1235, Level 11, 227 Elizabeth Street Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: 1800 812 164
© 2020 Opportunity International AustraliaABN 83 003 805 043
Top Small Business and Investment Opportunities in China in 2020
China is an attractive market for some of the world’s largest conglomerates. In the last few years, China has established a niche for itself regarding national and economic issues, making many entrepreneurs and established companies racing to the country.
There are over one billion people in China. It has a fast-growing economy that is also rated as the second largest in the world. It is also the largest exporter and importer of goods in the world. Furthermore, the company offers affordable and reliable technology, as well as a highly productive workforce. All of these factors make China a powerful country to do business in. This is why most Fortune 500 companies have a presence in the country.
China has many thriving sectors, including agriculture, manufacturing, oil and gas, automobile, pharmaceutical and tourism. China is currently promoting certain small business opportunities.
If you are considering opening a business or expanding your business to China, these opportunities may help you generate impressive income while allowing you to enjoy a low profile. Here are some of the most promising business ideas and investment opportunities in China currently.
Best Small Business Ideas in China
Rounding out the list for the best small business ideas in China for 2020 are:
Automation Control Products
The number one small business in China is a technology company that sells industrial automation control products. Marketing similar products may yield the results that you want. Consider this option if you are looking for a new business opportunity.
The supplementary education market in China is huge. After-school private tutoring services is one viable option. Another is providing online classes to students and workers. These classes are important in China, which prides itself on having a strong educational system.
It is customary for many students to continue their studies after the end of the traditional school day to gain a competitive edge. Because online classes are convenient and accessible to more people, it is viable option for many and an in-demand opportunity for businesses.
Imports and Exports
Small businesses that involve trading are often successful because they help create additional business opportunities across the globe. Because China is the largest exporter and importer of goods in the world, it is easier to create a profitable importing and exporting business in the country. If you have not yet launched a business and are looking for ideas, this is one to consider.
The pharmaceutical industry in China is massive and highly profitable. Furthermore, in China, businesses often have access to cheap labor and raw materials. However, selling pharmaceuticals in China requires businesses to acquire the proper license.
Forbes China has previously listed a pharmaceutical company in its list of top 10 small businesses in the country, so it might be an industry worth considering if you are willing to go through the regulatory red tape.
Environmental concerns, more access to health information and the presence of new diseases and illnesses has made current generations more concerned about their health than previous generations.
Health product businesses may include herbal goods, supplements and skin care products. In China, there are many small health products businesses. Some successful businesses focus on women and the beauty industry while others appeal to both genders.
Ecological Environment Construction
The world has taken notice of more environmental concerns and China has followed suit. It is encouraging businesses that are taking an eco-friendly approach and constructing ecological environments, such as afforestation projects, seedling of plants and garden landscape engineering.
Companies that provide technological research on ecology are also in demand.
Direct marketing is one of the best opportunities for small businesses because it is reliable. It requires that businesses be able to communicate well and develop key connections with customers to be successful.
Not all consumers in China have or can afford to have internet access in their homes or businesses. However, many people still need this access. Operating a small-scale internet businesses is a simple way to merge into the Chinese country while not having to invest substantially into it.
When deciding on which business initiative to pursue, it is important to consider needs so that you can opt for a safer option when available. Everyone needs food, but with a population exceeding 1.35 billion, China particularly needs this resource.
Best Investment Opportunities in China
There are also certain sectors that are prime for investment in China including:
Manufacturing of Household Commodities
China is one of the largest producers of household commodities. They are often cheaper than the products produced in other countries, allowing them to be more competitive. Consider starting your own household commodities manufacturing company.
China’s access to advanced technologies allows it to be a source of thriving online shops. There are several advantages to investing in this type of business in China, including that you do not have to keep all of the products that are listed on your shop in China.
You do not have to invest in inventory. Instead, you can make agreements with manufacturers in which you list their products on your shop and sell them to your customers for a markup.
Since English is often the language spoken by business leaders around the world, many Chinese professionals are trying to increase their English-language skills. You can open a school that teaches professionals how to speak English, especially in business settings.
This type of business requires minimal capital investment and you may already have the skills necessary to run a successful business of this nature.
Another investment opportunity is to launch a haulage business, which transports goods by road or rail. It includes transporting ore, coal and supplies. Since China is a country with some of the highest volume of goods, this is a sound investment.
Mobile Phones and Accessories Business
With its ready access to technology, a productive workforce and cheap raw materials, China has revolutionized the mobile phone industry. China offers cheaper mobile phone and accessory options in comparison to some of the overpriced goods of this nature elsewhere in the world.
Having this type of business can be a highly profitable business venture when done correctly. The key to success with this type of business is partnering up with businesses outside of China to whom you can supply mobile phones and accessories. Cheap accessories that you may be able to sell include batteries, chargers, battery banks, cases, memory cards and USB cords.
Electronics and Gadgets
China also produces other electronics and gadgets. Investing in a business of this nature can allow you to get the products cheaper from the manufacturer that you can then resell to other businesses.
Gold and silver plated jewelry is popular in China and other parts of the world. Additionally, there are other types of jewelry that you can produce in China that can allow you to successfully launch your business in China.
Bags and shoes are some of the most important accessories around the world and China can help you launch your products in developing countries and industrialized areas throughout the world.
China has ample opportunities for small business and investment. Regardless of which option you choose, it is important that you launch your business in an efficient and compliant manner.
New Horizons Global Partners can advise you of the regulatory schemes in place and inform you of the guidelines you must meet, whether that means a minimum capital investment or a necessary license to conduct the type of business you are considering in China.
We can also get you a local workforce through our Employer of Record services so that you can have people working on the ground as soon as you are ready to launch your business.
The Best Binary Options Broker 2020!
Perfect For Beginners!
Free Demo Account!
Free Trading Education!